How to Start Exercising and Stick to It
Ready to get in shape?
If so, you’ve made the right decision. It won’t be easy, but it’s worth the effort. Regardless of your age or body weight, exercise can improve your life. The sooner you start, the better. A few weeks from now, you’ll have more energy and stamina, look slimmer, and feel stronger overall.
Here are some useful tips on how to start exercising and stick to it:
First Find Your Inner Drive
Try to figure out why you want to start exercising in the first place. Some people do it because they need to lose weight. Some wish to build muscle and strength. Others go to the gym to relax and get rid of stress. If you don’t have a clear goal in mind, focus on the benefits of exercise.
An active lifestyle will boost your immune system and enhances your body’s defense mechanism. This will keep diseases at bay and delay aging. Additionally, it will keep your bones strong and reduce muscle loss as you age.
People who stay active are less likely to develop certain types of cancer, metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular disease, obesity, and high blood pressure. They also have more energy throughout the day, think clearer, and enjoy better sleep. If you stick to your workout routine, you’ll reap the benefits too.
Choose an Activity
From jogging and hiking to lifting weights, there are plenty of ways to stay active. Perhaps you hate aerobics, or maybe you don’t feel comfortable at the gym. Either way, you can get your daily dose of exercise by swimming, walking, cycling, or playing sports. Deepening on your needs and budget, get a pair of dumbbells, a resistance band, or a barbell, and work out at home. It’s a small investment that yields big results.
Learn Proper Technique
Common exercise mistakes, such as lifting too much, using bad form, and skipping the warm-up, can lead to injuries. Many people develop back pain, tendonitis, or shin splints when they start exercising because they use poor lifting form. If you’re planning to try a new exercise routine and haven’t exercise for awhile, proceed with caution; consult your trainer or doctor.
Make sure you always warm-up and cool down to prevent injuries. Start your workout with a few stretches or some light cardio. Focus on the muscles that you’re going to train, such as your chest, shoulders, or legs. When working out, complete the first set with lighter weights. Once you’re able to do 12 or more reps with a given weight, increase the load. This will challenge your muscle into growth and boost your metabolism.
Eat According to Your Goals
Exercise and diet are equally important.
Remember this: If you work out but keep eating junk food, you’re wasting your time.
To get results, follow the 80/20 rule: eat healthy 80 percent of the time and have a cheat meal or other treat the other 20 percent.
If you want to slim down and keep your energy levels throughout the day, cut down on carb intake, especially breads, pasta and all the typical processed wheat products. Eat a portion of protein with each meal, and of course eat your veggies! Plan your meals and snacks around your workouts to help your muscles grow and recover.
To Your Health!